Monday, June 30, 2008

Chat

cPros:
- multiple people can be typing at the same time, which actually increases the amount of participation you can have, especially from people for whom conversational wait time is a bigger problem.

Cons:
- thoughts sometimes get shared out of order. (Then again, that sometimes causes them not to be shared at all when face-to-face--I'm thinking of faculty meetings where you don't end up making your point because the conversation has already moved on past it.)

2 comments:

Samira said...

Regarding the order of thoughts in a chat...there are ways to get around that which I think people naturally tend to find when they get used to using IM.

The other thing I like about chats is that they are good for exchanging information over a stretch of time when you want to stay connected but the nature of the info is not urgent or highly time-dependent. I guess some might disagree about the etiquette of that, but usually it's clear in the chats I've been in that the other person is probably getting some coffee, looking at email, etc., in the course of the chat.

Samira said...

Another comment...you can save chat transcripts which would be very handy if you are doing a chat with a class and need a way to record what went on so that you can go back later and review it (for example, to make sure everyone participated, assess quality of participation, etc. if that is important).