Thursday, June 26, 2008

Wii Remote Hack (Interactive Whiteboard)

I've spent the morning looking at what is needed for using a Wii remote to turn any whiteboard into an interactive whiteboard, as originally described by Johnny Chung Lee. So far, it looks like the basic requirements are:

  • a computer with a Bluetooth interface (which will either be built into the computer, as with my MacBookPro, or which will be a USB Bluetooth adapter that would be purchased separately for about $30; see this Amazon link for an example);
  • a Wii Remote for $39.99;
  • an LED light source; this can be built from scratch for a few dollars, but some people have been using little squeeze LED mini flashlights, which is what I am planning to try;
  • (free) software for your computer. I am going to use Mac software called Wiimote Whiteboard. The PC version is available here on Johnny Chung Lee's site;
  • a standard LED projector, of which we already have many in the school.
I left my Wii remote at home but I will definitely be working on this by tomorrow!

No comments: