Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Wiki Review

I focused on the following criteria:
-ease of use (WYSIWYG, text entry, layout, adding plugins, images, etc.)
-pricing (free or cheap)
-flexibility (additional pages, uploading files)
-flexibility in adding users (invite keys, etc.)


POOR CANDIDATES:
PMWiki (www.pmwiki.org): Needs to be hosted on a separate server; looking at the sandbox area, it seemed to me that the text editing was not very intuitive.

Luminnotes (https://luminotes.com) "Luminotes is a WYSIWYG personal wiki notebook for organizing your notes and ideas. You don't have to use any special markup codes or install any software. You simply start typing." I found the interface a little confusing, actually and I don't really see why this is more useful than a blog or a different sort of wiki. Maybe TOO simple.

Netcipia (http://www.netcipia.com/xwiki/bin/view/Main/ ) No templates or skins that I could see; you can create separate spaces and pages within spaces, and set privileges separately for these; you can attach files of various types; but I couldn't see how to make all the pages in one space show up.

No comments: